- When vaccine is first available, the CDC Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) has recommended the 2009 H1N1 vaccine for the following 5 target groups (approximately 159 million persons nationally):
- Pregnant women
- Household and caregiver contacts of children younger than 6 months of age (e.g. parents, siblings, and daycare providers)
- Health carehealth car and emergency medical services personnel
- Persons from 6 months through 24 years of age
- Persons aged 25 through 64 years who have medical conditions associated with a higher risk of influenza complications
Once providers meet the demand for vaccine among persons in these initial target groups, vaccination is recommended for all persons 25 through 64 years of age. Current studies indicate that the risk for infection among persons age 65 or older is less than the risk for younger age groups. However, once vaccine demand among younger age groups has been met, programs and providers should offer vaccination to people 65 or older.